Thursday, May 25, 2006

Struggle

What have you done so far?--Where are you going? -- Why MBA? ---Why now? --What that university's MBA?

Time and again, many applicants, MBA students, admission committees have emphasized these key questions. A compelling story to these questions , filled with one's sweat and tears and smiles, will make a winning application. As I have put effort into understanding these questions for myself over the past few weeks, I have realized the part that I struggle the most with. "How do I link my "specific goals" to that university's MBA program offering? Points that come to mind are:
1) Core program curriculum - BUT , most B-schools have more or less the same type of courses in the core areas (finance, accounting, marketing, etc)
2) Clubs, Activities - BUT, most B-schools have more or less the same type of clubs (ASIA club, Enterpreneurship club)
3) Programs - Chances of some difference arise here. Most top schools offer a global practicum, b-plan competitions, case competitions etc
4) World Class Faculty - Hmmm, every school has its own cream
5) Commitment to Community - So many b-schools have started emphasizing this lately.
6) Student Culture/Personality - THIS one begs to differ. Each b-school has its own persona, that projects itself into the dynamic community that the school represents.

Are these the only elements to use to link one's goals to university X's MBA program? Also, what does it mean by "linking one's goals to MBA program"? If one of my goals is to learn about marketing high tech internet consumer products for start-ups and small businesses, is it sufficient to "link" this goal with the "Marketing for entrepreneurs" course at the university?

Thoughts on this very much appreciated.

4 comments:

UniQpath said...

Median2k9, very good points. I think the blend of these elements taken together presents a unique personality to each school. For example, Sloan has a very strong tech and entrepreneurship program. Kellogg has a very strong marketing program which is not just the faculty, but also the experience of being together with so many students interested in marketing, having the opportunity to listen & interact with all the top marketing companies who come here to present cutting edge topics in the field. That’s an environment you won’t get at another school. You don’t get that at general management schools like Harvard or Darden, and you won’t get the breadth at schools with smaller enrollment.

MBABlogger said...

You are bang on target.. I have been facing the same dilema myself.. Good luck

Linda Abraham said...

Excellent post. I posted my responses to your questions at http://www.accepted.squarespace.com/acceptedcom_blog/2006/6/30/the-struggle-for-a-compelling-mba-goals-essay.html .

karthik said...

Hi,
well articulated. I am undergoing the same turmoil as you underwent last year. Columbia is my dream school. however I am not able to understand or rather get a feel of the school's personality.

Can you please tell me like harvard's case study or darden's unique approach, what does columbia stress on? what qualities does it value?

Browsing the school website is not giving me the understanding i seek

thanks in advance....