Monday, August 07, 2006

School - Target or not

This past week, spent some time going over websites of some schools, to reaffirm my target selection. This is my last chance, once I confirm my selection, I do not want to get randomized by going out and changing one or two, adding anything new or whatever. Here are some brief points on all the schools:

1) Carnegie Mellon : great for finance, manufacturing, brand name CMU, proximity to NY area (lots of NY companies flock for recruiting)
2) Columbia : finance, in the NY city (for Wall Street connections!!!)
3) Johnson, Cornell : geneal management, finance
4) Tuck: general management, small school/class atmosphere, strong alum connections (Tuck community)
5) Fuqua: general management, health care management, TEAM Fuqua
6) Sloan : innovate, entrepreneurship, a bit more analytical (strong engineering connections amongst other things)
7) Kellogg: Marketing, teamwork, Chicago (midwest area)


More to come ....

5 comments:

UniQpath said...

Hi Linda
I am looking at Ross too, not targeted it though. I am focusing on social enterepreneurship in MBA. I am already including 5 schools from top 10 programs, so was reluctant to add one more top 10 program to my target list. If you have any advice regarding this, please let me know.

Thanks

NDEO said...

Hey Uniqpath,

Nice blog....am an MBA aspirant too..have scored 680..am interested in general management and Consulting...would like to know your comments abt the colleges which wud be better...I have worked for more than 3 years in automotive and IT, BPO domain...last two being for 3months each...wud like to have your guidance on the same....

Inblue said...

why not Stern ?? just curious !!

And I'm all said...

To add to other's queries... why not Chicago? While going through the application process, CMU was above and beyond my first choice. I ended up applying to Chicago as well since the two schools are very similar, was accepted to both, and ended accepting my offer from Chicago. Just curious as to why it isn't on your list.

UniQpath said...

Stern and Chicago, I got the impression that these are finance heavy schools. Ofcourse they are first and foremost b-schools, so they will have the usual dose of required good business school courses. But I am not looking for finance based specialization or career post MBA. So I am opting out for these schools. Let me know otherwise, if I am wrong.